This Development Director role offers a great opportunity for an aggressive development person to increase corporate sponsorships and individual support for Brilliant’s mission, performances, events, and programs. This executive reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Brilliant’s sponsorships, corporate partnership and individual giving goals are to expand beyond the existing sponsorships and leverage value throughout the year.
The Development Director will be responsible for planning and strategy related to Brilliant’s sponsorship programs including identifying, cultivating, and developing leads and prospects for annual and single programs, negotiating contracts and packages, closing deals, and assisting with donor appreciation in concert with the team.
This leadership role will be expected to generate a revenue portfolio of $1 million annually through corporate sponsorships, individual support and unique program VIP events. This leader will not be responsible for grant writing as this is done by outside contractor.
By working with executive management, colleagues, and staff, this role will identify and secure revenue generating opportunities with prospects across industries, foster revenue opportunities with existing sponsors, and develop a multi-year strategy and planning goals to increase sponsorships, individual support and corporate partnerships.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, and secure sponsorship plans focused on increasing sponsorships across industries and sectors.
- Oversee identification of prospects, cultivation and solicitation strategies, and closing of deals.
- Identify and leverage Brilliant offerings and assets.
- Work across the organization to conceptualize and develop packages for sponsorship, and execute revenue generating opportunities to drive incremental revenue for the organization.
- Using a consultative approach, work with prospects to gain a clear understanding of their needs, and develop customized sponsorship and proposal packages to secure their support and acquire new sponsorship revenues.
- Work collaboratively with executive, marketing, and production staff to create customized content or presentations for use in sponsorship presentations, in accordance with Brilliant’s ethics, branding, and other guidelines.
- Provide timely responses to prospects and existing sponsors and partner requests, and work in a consultative manner with sponsors and partners to deepen relationship and renewal opportunities.
- All other duties as assigned.
The Development Director should have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Big picture strategist and outside of the box creativity.
- Proactively take actions necessary to produce results.
- Communicate clearly and articulate concepts and ideas.
- Logically support decisions to senior management.
- Generate timely decisions and have sound judgment.
- Identify emerging trends before others to create opportunities.
- Set priorities wisely, multitask, and dynamically solve complex problems.
- Build trust internally and externally, and command a professional image.
- Ability to develop strategic, proactive relationships with potential sponsors and corporate partners, and other members of the philanthropic community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends in corporate and individual funding, corporate social responsibility (CSR), philanthropy, and the methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about cause-marketing programs.
- Dynamic public speaking skills as well as effective individual communication skills, including by phone and with high level executives.
- Strong strategic, analytical, and project management skills: demonstrated ability to take responsibility for a diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Superb networking, teamwork, negotiation, and interpersonal/diplomatic skills with ability to work effectively with stakeholders to achieve a common goal.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed.
Education, Experience and Training
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree (e.g. MBA) is preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in sponsorship or cause marketing, in positions of progressive responsibility, preferably in a nonprofit or corporate environment.
- Must have experience in building a sponsorship or similar sales program and success in meeting or exceeding an organization’s combined goal of $1 million annually.
- Demonstrated success in strategic planning, proposal development and in the identification, solicitation and closing of sponsorships and business deals.
- Experience developing sponsorship packages.
- Experience in entertainment marketing and sponsorships preferred.
- Track record of developing corporate partnerships is strongly preferred.
Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.